Password protection in non-commercial 6.0.1

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed May 1 19:47:59 EDT 2013

On May 1, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> In terms of capabilities, nothing's changed.
>
> But yes, the pricing for the Commercial Edition has changed.
>
> Most developers were coding for multiple platforms, and by the time you add up all the platforms from their formerly-complex pricing structure it wound up that most of us were paying far more than $500 every year, while a relative few who developed for single platforms were paying less.

I'm not a developer. Is the LC business model is moving away from DIY users like me? I started out as a HyperCard retread, never really matured beyond that.

> So in your case, I can understand why you would prefer the old pricing structure.
>
> But if you're developing a commercial app, is $500 truly prohibitive to have an engine as capable as LiveCode doing so much of the work?

If one is developing a commercial app, $500 may not be truly prohibitive. I wouldn't know. (I did once try to write a commercial app in Basic on my Atari, possibly a 1200XL. Didn't work out...)

> As Monte pointed out, the encrypt and decrypt functions can be used to protect data, and much more securely than the method used for stack protection.

Gotta confess, I know nothing about the encrypt and decrypt functions. Never heard of them. Maybe I can get them to work -- will look them up.

Or maybe I'll just use FileVault. I always planned to learn how to use FileVault, never got around to it. When I send or save the stacks on the cloud, I can encrypt the stacks some other way. I need security beyond the startup password, in case of loss or theft of computer, etc.

Thanks, Richard.

TM