Password protection in non-commercial 6.0.1

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 1 19:25:41 EDT 2013

Timothy Miller wrote:

 > I have paid $50 to $100, give or take, for several major upgrades
 > to LiveCode, and Runtime Revolution before that, and Revolution Media
 > before that, always for the Macintosh-only version.
 >
 > I was not offered an upgrade to the commercial version. I was
 > notified automatically that a new version of LiveCode, 6.0.1 was
 > available. This is apparently the non-commercial version.
 >
 > I just spent some time puzzling over the blazingly commercial and
 > completely non-intuitive interface of the RunRev.com. As far as I can
 > tell, the commercial version costs $500. If so, don't tell me
 > "Nothing's changed..."

In terms of capabilities, nothing's changed.

But yes, the pricing for the Commercial Edition has changed.

Most developers were coding for multiple platforms, and by the time you
add up all the platforms from their formerly-complex pricing structure
it wound up that most of us were paying far more than $500 every year,
while a relative few who developed for single platforms were paying less.

So in your case, I can understand why you would prefer the old pricing
structure.

But if you're developing a commercial app, is $500 truly prohibitive to
have an engine as capable as LiveCode doing so much of the work?

And if it's not commercial, why not use the Commercial Edition?

As Monte pointed out, the encrypt and decrypt functions can be used to
protect data, and much more securely than the method used for stack
protection.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World