Challenge: how to set the text of a field

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Fri Mar 29 15:30:02 EDT 2013

OK - let's be more descriptive - this card and the current card won't work.
Let's picture an application - say it's a keynote style presentation stack
- and we are creating background groups that a user can place in the
presentation. Say the presentation has 10 cards and all of them happen to
use the shared background group "Title and Text".

Now as an author of these background groups I want to give them nice easy
custom properties - so that anyone can script them easily - one of these
properties is "title_Text" - as most groups have a title. I want end users
to be able to do things like:

put the title_Text of group 1 of card 2 into secondTitle

or if I want a user want to create and index with a script:

repeat with cardNum = 1 to the number of cards
> put the title_Text of group 1 of card cardNum & CR after myIndex
> end repeat

So how can I write a handler to retrun the text of a background group on a
card other than the current card? The only way I know of is to do some ugly
manual parsing of the long id of the target, and so extract the card id and
construct a reference that way - very ugly and in other contexts error
prone. What we need is something equivalent to:

put the card of the target
put the number of the card of the target

Any other way of doing this simple task?