[OT] Domain & Hosting Service Advice

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Wed Mar 27 14:22:51 EDT 2013

I prefer Dreamhost for all my hosting needs. I've had a 'code monster'
account for the last 10 years. I like this company because of their
superior support, custom code and control panel, high-quality serving, and
the fact that they had stayed independent rather than selling out to a
bigger outfit. I was also able to enable my livecode server instance here -
after some initial help from Andre'. They are also very funny people (
important to me ).

Download/upload speeds aren't throttled. A personal survey showed
Dreamhost's speeds to be better than the average.
                      (.58 gig download - comcast cable connection with
speedburst)
Amazon A3      20 min      475kb/s
Dreamhost       23 min      368kb/s
On-Rev            30 min      260-326 kbs

So far they haven't bugged me EVER about bandwidth or storage.... I'm at
about 20 gigs with 10 domains, unlimited email, etc.

I am sure that TwoCows or GoDaddy sites are cheaper. But what is their
uptime? What are the limits? Can one install livecode there? Is the support
any good? Can you get shell / SSH ?

I am pretty particular about hosts...

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA