AW: AW: serial numbers on standalones

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Tue Mar 26 07:00:09 EDT 2013

As of my experience of the last years there is a minimum of computers
changing their mac addresses regulary. In my daily business I would estimate
it below 1%. But almost every computer has more than one mac address,
including virtual addresses and they change their sequence when reading
them. Or they have temporary mac addresses, like from a USB-stick, sticked
on/off. That really can be a pain handling that waterproofed.
Tiemo

Auftrag
> von Richmond
> Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. März 2013 11:39
> An: How to use LiveCode
> Betreff: Re: AW: serial numbers on standalones
>
> On 26/03/13 12:30, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> > I know, that it is very unpopular to supply very strict and controlled
> > licence models and rely on all the nice and lovely pirates to come
> > back to me, but I can't confirm at all these models in my daily
business.
> > Perhaps it is related to my client base, I don't know. But I made the
> > experience with two different licensing models in the last 15 years in
> > the same target audience (partly even with the same customers) with
> > our products. One product licence was very open and was based on
> > "fairness and following our licence model" with very low piracy
> > protection, the other product license is tied very strict to the
> > hardware (wich actually has some painful sides, but for us it's the
> better choice).
> > After having sold one or any number of licences of product 1to a
> > dedicated target group, we never have sold a second licence in that
> > group (e.g. all teachers of a school). After having sold licences of
> > product 2 we are constantly selling additional licences within the
> > same target group. And no, it doesn't depend on the product, I know
> > that they all are using product 1 too. As I said, perhaps this is a
> > special behavior of our target group (teachers). In the last decades I
> > never have met people who are less aware of law, piracy and licensing
> > as teachers (sorry Richmond)
>
> Don't be sorry; I know that is a fact.
>
> Trying to explain to a parent of twins why she should pay for 2 copies of
> student workbook, rather than just one followed by a quick trip to the
> photocopy shop is an uphill, and unproductive exercise, that only serves
> convince people I am some sort of nutcase round these parts.
>
> Mind you, here in Bulgaria about 95% of the population are either 100%
> unaware of law, piracy and licensing, or, even if they are, couldn't care
> less.
>
> I am becoming increasingly in favour of hardware tethering of software
> after trying to explain what a site licence is and ending up with zero
> comprehension as the interlocutor cannot see why they shouldn't just
> duplicate the individually licensed executable across as many machines as
> they require.
>
> The only problem (as was pointed out on this list) is that many machines
> keep changing their Mac address and I am unaware of any other, more
> permanent, hardware feature Livecode can grab hold of.
>
> Richmond.
>

> > Just my 2 cents
> > Tiemo

 this software must not be