iOS scroller performance

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Mar 25 00:48:16 EDT 2013

On 3/24/13 11:36 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

> Wait... so you can only set the scroll of a group that is directly on
> the card then? That makes it quite difficult to use...

I think it can be anywhere, not just the card. The trick is, the
layermode must be set on the topmost object; if it's a group, then set
it on the group itself, not the contents of the group.

> Where did you learn that the scrolling group can't be inside another
> group? I've just confirmed it using the effective layermode but I
> can't see it documented...

I'm not sure where it is now, but it was mentioned in the release notes.

> I think this means for scrolling fields in a custom control you need
> to set their height to the formatted height and then just scroll the
> group.

I'm not sure how it would work in that case. If you have more than one
scroller in the group it could get tricky, and I think you're right
that's where the jerkiness comes in. My fields haven't been in groups,
so that's why I didn't see it.

The dictionary has a good explanation of how layermode works, maybe that
will help you figure out what to do. It doesn't specifically address the
kind of grouping you need to do though.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com