Learning by... Avoiding mistakes

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sun Mar 24 16:54:52 EDT 2013

Richard,

I would love to see a (YouTube?) video of you or Mark or someone doing
the planning thing with note cards. I have never done it but it sounds
like a good way to go. I too gave up flowcharting years ago for most
projects, but sometimes I still run into something that demands that
kind of planning.

Thanks -
Phil

On 3/24/13 11:20 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Mark Wieder wrote:
>> Richard-
>>
>> Sunday, March 24, 2013, 10:25:59 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Some of the most productive time I spend in development is with 3x5
>>> cards spread out on the floor, representing function points or UI
>>> elements, looking for the flow and patterns between them.  To someone
>>
>> I do the index card thing, sometimes just on pieces of paper, and then
>> move the blocks of code around until it starts to take shape. I
>> haven't yet found any computer program that beats this process.
>
> Yeah, it's funny that way, but for all the tech we're dripping with I
> get some of the biggest bang for the buck from 3x5 cards and a pad of
> graph paper.  I've tried many ways to replace those with software, but
> nothing has yet matched the freedom to explore.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com