SQLite data storage

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Fri Mar 22 14:45:02 EDT 2013

Hi Peter,

For us, main reason to use a database rather than just a text file is simply to make the data a little more secure. I mean, it doesn't have to be way secure. But we do want to make it a little more difficult for someone with prying eyes to get hold of it. I also liked the idea of using the power of SQL to search and filter results for me. With a text file, to do it the easy way, you have to read the entire file into memory every time you access it. I didn't want to have to do that, being a mobile app and all.

But to answer your question, yes, I could probably just use a tab-delimited text file and call it good. I just finished my import of the data and there are just over 8100 records. So nothing too huge. But like I said, I wanted to be able to run SQL queries on the data, and that can't be done with a text file, obviously.

Thanks,
Chris