Scots & English.. [was the Scottish Dialect]

Curt Ford cford at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed Mar 13 15:33:16 EDT 2013

Hang on, Richmond! No offense intended.

In retrospect I should have known better than to suggest that pronunciation alone can help you 'pass as a local.' I'll retract that bit.

In fairness, Paul's material does mention that "the Scots tongue has its origins in the Germanic language spoken by the Jutes, Angles, ..." For practical purposes, I suppose, his work here has a focus on English as pronounced in Scotland (the Scottish dialect of English): he doesn't say that it is Scots.

I do have some awareness of the sensitivities of Scots linguistic history: in a class on language & national identity I often refer my students to the site of the Scots Language Society; we also read part of Lorimer's translation of the New Testament, watch clips like this one of Liz Lochhead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PfrDrAIR0)..

But I'm glad to be corrected and get suggestions of other interesting sources. I'm curious if you've seen L. Colin Wilson's 'Luath Scots Language Learner,' and if you have, what you think of it.

..all of which may be getting OT from LiveCode, so let me know if you'd like to continue this offline!

all best

Curt

Sona Software LLC