[OT] Slugworth

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 16:29:17 EDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 10:09 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> Why do I get the funny feeling that Ubuntu is getting a bit too big
>> for its
>> open source boots?
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/03/ubuntu-mir/
>>
>> Of course, this could be an object lesson to those who are in the
>> process of releasing something
>> open source as to how much they continue to exert control on the thing.
>
> Because the sky is falling?

Not that I have noticed.

But, howevermuch Ubuntu might be pushing the development envelope and
being jolly cleveevr and innovative,
they are also at risk of cheesing-off their installed-base.

How much this actually matters to Canonical I just don't know; they make
their revenue in a different way to the way RunRev does;

they sell system support rather than a commercial variant of Ubuntu.
However I would suppose the level of system support bought
and paid for also depends on how many people are using Ubuntu for
mission critical stuff.

This could also happen with RunRev's Open Source fork.

Richmond.