[OT] "MacMini" 7-8 years later

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 3 17:27:39 EST 2013

Roger Eller wrote:

 > I really wish that Apple would at least allow an open source
 > fork of OS X so people can choose their own hardware.

A few years ago I discovered that there are more hardware options in the
world than just six models. ;)

I love the security, robustness, and resource-friendliness of POSIX
systems like OS X, but I also like to take full advantage of the wide
variety of hardware options in the modern world, in which by now most
people understand that computers are commodities.

Thankfully Linux is more than up to the task, with as many options
available for how you like your OS as there are to fit your specific
hardware preferences.

If Apple had a wider range of things for me to choose among I might not
have branched out.  But it's turned out well so I say, "Thanks, Steve,
for responding to our requests for choice by showing us the door, since
on the other side I found Linux."

:)

Speaking of hardware, I have great respect for Intel but their list
price for their NUC is way too high - NewEgg sell's em for less, and
they also have a wide range of other case and CPU combos on their
mini-barebones category:

<http://www.newegg.com/Mini-Booksize-Barebone-Systems/SubCategory/ID-309?Order=PRICE>

--
  Richard Gaskin