Augmented reality with LiveCode ?

Brahmanathswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Jun 30 21:43:57 EDT 2013

I think Augmented Reality may have a variety of implementations. So it
probably depends on what you want to do.

FWIW:  Our printer for Hinduism Today magazine, Quad Graphics,  has just
done a major sales pitch (to me) to buy  their augmented reality
"product" which is based on a mobile app called "Actable  billed as

"A Universal discovery App -- unlock rewards, coupons, quick buy
opportunities with Actable. Actable is a valuable tool for QR Scanning."
(available free on the iTunes store)

they have some big magazines using this now... though I can't get any
metrics from them on success rate...

The way it works is: you  print some "trigger" image on a page of your
magazine.. users pass mobile device over it with Actable running and
then you get some video or other media playing on top of what you see.
If the editorial article has related videos.. these started playing. If
advertisement for something, then you have a video demonstrating the
product... etc. and of course hooks to points of sale... (launch browser
to go buy it.)

Typically these sales pitches are way out of our league, they will want
the publisher to pay a fortune to license content on their servers etc.
usually not a model I'm interested in... kind of "software as a service"
model... These apps are just a "hook" to get you to then pay big time
for hosting content and bandwidth on their CDN. Since we have our own
server, I don't need to pay more for that "half" of the application... I
just need something that I could install on my own machine, we have
plenty of space and bandwidth.

I immediately thought that some smart LiveCode Developer could probably
get into this market.. and undercut the big corporations with something
that e.g. we could use that would trigger content that we would host on
our own servers.

So what I'm saying is I think there would be a market to

a) build such an app
b) build the LiveCode Server site API needed for delivery

then sell that package to the publisher. I think this has some
advantages for the developer because he does not need to develop a
business plan to handle the hosting of all the content. If he needs disk
space in the cloud, that is his problem, not yours...

But (I'm asking Quad about this) it needs to really be fully digital...
ideally, you could trigger the augmented reality from a PDF, or ePub
being viewed, say, on a tablet... then you would really have
something... Of course these are not much more than clickable links in a
PDF or ePub... that's nothing new... (we do that now) but if it were
seamless with a scannable printed image trigger in the physical
magazine... all working in the same framework... then you would have
something!

Brahmanathaswami
www.HimalayanAcademy.com