Why does this program not work?

David Milne dmilne at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jun 30 12:11:47 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I would be very grateful if some one can explain to me why the following
program does not work. It is a cut down demonstration program designed to
show the fault.

I made the following in the latest community version of LiveCode.

 I made a card with  a button "button", a field "numbers" and a field
"results"
The card script was:

global bb, aa

on startbb
  put "A" into bb[0]
  put "B" into bb[1]
  put "C" into bb[2]
end startbb

Button "Button" has the script

on mouseUp
  startbb
  get the field "numbers"
  put it into aa
  put bb[aa] into field "results"
end mouseUp

The program does not work. There were no compiling error messages.

Could some one please explain what is wrong. I tried a variety of other
things, but I want to keep this email short.

I wanted to program some logic tables, but in LiveCode, I just fail. I just
reach a blank wall.  The above little snippet program demonstrates what I
can not do. It is not much fun when something that one feels should be
obvious, simply does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

David Milne