old habits are hard to break

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 07:04:30 EDT 2013

Got errors popping up "no such button" -- the button was referred to as "bg btn id 1" and it evidently referred to the popup button to choose the number of iterations, and its ID in the properties inspector was 4982. I found several other similar object references, then poked around a little more and got an error when I hit the "?" button "no such card" with hint "?" -- when I could see in the application browser that there was indeed a card named "?" and typing ' go card "?" ' in the message box gave the same error. At that point I thought the whole thing was very was weird and gave up.

Just now I tried it again, and it does the benchmarking just fine with no errors at all, but now I'm mystified, because of all these object references with single and double digit IDs. I don't know how THAT works…. And I don't know why it acted so squirrelly before and it works fine now.

However, I'm glad it works again, since it's a handy tool. I recommend it for anyone who wants to check out questions of coding efficiency. I did make one modification: the number of iterations listed in the popup button maxes at 100,000, and I added a 500,000 option. My guess, Richard, is that you originally made this in Hypercard, when processors were slower.

But I'd sure like to know about this "bg btn id 1" business.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

Addendum: I suddenly remembered something and checked it out. The popup has been given an altID of 1, so referring to "bg btn id 1" is a valid and correct reference. But referring to "btn id 1" or even "btn id 4982" gives an error. So one mystery solved but another question: Why is the "bg btn" reference valid but not the straight "btn" reference? There is indeed a button id 4982, I can see it in the application browser, so why does it have to be referred to as "bg btn id 4982" or "bg btn id 1"? I thought that was a HC anachronism.

PMB