old habits are hard to break

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 15:22:18 EDT 2013

OK, we're well into the 21st century.

I'm on a multi-core, multi-gigahertz machine.

Yet I keep trying to optimize away single lines of code, to the point
that I had four versions of some of my functions to avoid a little
switch at the start to set a word or two into a variable, instead
hard-coding it.

It's all a hangover from the limits of 8 bit BASIC . . . (but at least
I've accepted that I can jump to any point in the code at the same
speed, instead of having faster jumps to early in memory as it
searches . . . [That mattered in MBASIC below version 5 {but then,
that's why my BASIC & FORTRAN always looked more like C or Pascal than
spaghetti . .}])

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462