"One Year Free"

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 14:37:28 EDT 2013

What is wrong with me?

[No. that's a rhetorical question; and before you all rush to reply, I
know what
is really wrong with me, and no, none of you can help me in that
respect, so Thanks in advance]

But, just at the moment I use Livecode 4.5 commercial for my commercial
development needs:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/dwriterpro.html

and, right now, it does what it needs, and, wait for it . . . it has no
obvious expiry date (well, I suppose
when operating systems stop agreeing to play ball with its standalones)
. . .

Now, here comes a "personalised" offer (and by "personalised" I mean,
obviously fake - how do I know; well, in my case
that is easy: in the "real" world where I live and work I use my first
name, 'John', but for rather odd, historical reasons,
in the cyber-world I use my second name 'Richmond'; so when a message
addressed to

"Dear John, We really appreciate your loyalty to LiveCode."

I know it is as fake as they go for more than one reason:

1. Runtime Revolution (the people, rather than the automated bots) know
jolly well that as far as Livecode is concerned I am "Richmond".

2. My "loyalty" to Livecode: don't make me laugh: I've been having a
hit-n-run "thing" with RunRev and their product for about 12 years,
but "loyalty" is not the right word to use there: perhaps "co-dependency
relationship with slight sadomasochistic overtones" might be more
appropriate.

-------------------------

Now, as to the "offer" of 'renting' Livecode for one year longer than
one would normally get for 500 bucks . . .

Not a chance chum!

When I finally get round to stumping up 500 bucks it will certainly not
be for something that turns into a pumpkin
at the stroke of midnight (although, come to think about things, if
Kevin were to start pursuing me after that with
a glass shoe [jackboot?] that could be quite entertaining) I want to pay
for something I can own and use for a
decent length of time . . .

, , , A while ago (about 9-10 years ago) Marielle Lange [of scented and
slightly unfortunate memory] purchased me
a copy of DreamCard 2.6.1 in lieu of payment for coding assistance: I
still use it, from time to time, and it does
not come up with some silly message saying "Oi, Mush, you've had yer
licence period so stuff it!"

----------------------

Perhaps nothing is wrong with me. But, maybe, just maybe, the idea of
getting a year's use of Livecode for
500 bucks (c.f. the notorious 3 year licence for Windows XP) is a load
of nonsense, and maybe, just maybe, end-users
would be prepared to stump up 500 bucks (or somesuch) for a version that
did not expire but had not upgrades built in,
instead.

Why am I writing this?

Because, while RunRev make a great product, I think that their marketing
strategies over the last 12 years have been
"aff" in a way that does not do them any favours at all.

Richmond.