a *fast* check for whether another machine is on the local network?

Daryl Williams daryl at synergetic-data.com
Thu Jun 13 19:53:42 EDT 2013

If I am understanding correctly you might try using either the netstat
or route commands to find your default gateway, and if there is none
then save things to the local database.

The problem with this approach will be determining the right syntax to
use for the current platform your code is running on. Unfortunately the
syntax is a bit different from windows to os x to linux, but they will
all report on the routing tables, including the default router, at which
point you just need to parse the command output (again different from
platform to platform) an take the appropriate action. The output can be
rather detailed and verbose, but should not too hard to parse.

Regards,

Daryl