6.1

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 14:53:34 EDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 11:03 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Just read the release notes for 6.1, some nice stuff in there - I really
> like the new pageRange property.
>
> However, I'm not so happy about the properties changes, at least until I
> check them out and see exactly what the changes are.
>
> It sounds like "the properties" doesn't return all the properties it used
> to return, only those needed to recreate it.  That's great for those who
> want to recreate an object by maybe not so great for folks who want to use
> it for other purposes.

I just made up a simple stack with a button "Button" and a scrolling
list field "PROPPS".  The button contains this script:

on mouseUp
   get the properties of btn "Button"
    combine it using return and colon
    put it into fld "PROPPS"
end mouseUp

Running that under Livecode 4.5 ends up with this in the textField:

accelKey:
accelMods:
accelText:
altId:0
armBorder:true
armFill:false
armed:false
armedIcon:0
autoArm:false
autoHilite:true
behavior:
blendLevel:0
borderWidth:2
cantSelect:false
colors:

and doing exactly the same thing in Livecode 6.1 ends up with this:

altId:0
armBorder:true
armFill:false
armed:false
armedIcon:0
autoArm:false
autoHilite:true
blendLevel:0
borderWidth:2
cantSelect:false
default:true
disabled:false
disabledIcon:0
family:0
hiliteBorder:true
hiliteFill:true
hiliteIcon:0
hilited:false
hoverIcon:0
icon:0
id:1005
ink:srcCopy
labelWidth:0
layer:2
layerMode:static
lockLoc:false
margins:4
menuHistory:1
menuLines:5
menuMouseButton:1
mnemonic:0
name:Button
opaque:true
rect:162,31,244,54
shadow:false
shadowOffset:4
sharedHilite:true
showBorder:true
showFocusBorder:true
showHilite:false
showIcon:false
showName:true
style:standard
textAlign:center
threeD:true
titleWidth:0
traversalOn:true
visible:true
visitedIcon:0

Now what interests me are several things:

1. LC 4.5's list contains items that are NOT listed in 6.1's and the
other way round, although 6.1's is longer.

I can understand that 6.1's might be longer owing to it listing
properties that were not previously listed by 'get the properties',

but I cannot understand why it might leave out some of those listed in 4.5

Richmond.