[OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu endernafi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 22:05:19 EDT 2013

Hello again,

"While the initial protest may have been about some trees this seems to have got beyond that."  - Richmond
Did you see the Firefly movie 'Serenity' ?
In the opening scene, a student asks the teacher: "Why the independents didn't like us, why didn't they want to get more civilized?"
Then child River Tam whispers: "We meddle!"

Erdogan meddles!

He decides how much children we should get,
he decides when and where we eat or drink,
he decides whether we should go to war,
he decides our home decorations,
he decides what we should read,
etc.

People don't like meddled with.

For long years, religious people suffered in Turkey.
They couldn't get dressed {turban, etc.} like they want,
they couldn't pray in public places,
they couldn't get jobs in government offices, military, etc.,
they couldn't read Quran freely.
We fought for them, for their independence.

But now, they have the power and doing the same thing they suffered.
It's a sad scenario repeating itself.

However, we're grateful for one thing to Erdogan.
He brought all that distinct and hating-each-other fractions of our society together.
In Gezi Park muslims and atheists are together, sunnis and alevis, turks and kurds, gays and straights, rightists and leftists,  …
Then he poured this most apolitic {non-political?} generation of the history to the streets.
Way to go Mr. Erdogan, job well done :)

From a street writing:
"A tree died, a nation awakened!"

Here is a short documentary regarding the last 10 days {8min.}:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIdREXpZBz4

What will happen, how will this end?
I don't know.
But I know one thing, I won't allow that trees to be cut off; no, sir!

Be well my friends,

With kindest regards from Turkey.

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~