DB/Reporting Tools

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu Jun 6 11:57:22 EDT 2013

On 6/6/13 5:48 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Mike Kerner wrote:
>> As you can see from Lynn and Ruslan's posting of the conversation
>> they were having with me off-list, they think there should be no
>> other tool.  We'll see.
>
> Well, obviously as the makers of Valentina they're biased, but IMO their
> craftsman's pride is quite understandable:
>
> Not only is the feature set quite enticing (hence this discussion of
> reporting tools), but one thing they don't drive home as much as I
> believe it warrants is the unusual structure of their data store.

:-)

Richard,

please note, that Mike is going to use Valentina Reports with SQLite.

Starting from 5.0, we have separate
    "Valentina DB ADK" and
    " Valentina Reports ADK"

Valentina Reports can be used with SQLite, mySQL, PostgreSQL any other dbs
via ODBC.

======
> Where columnar stores shine is in retrieval, specifically in searches.

> In a very broad sense, it's almost like having every column
> automatically indexed, but without the overhead normally associated with
> things like SQL indexes.
>
> What Ruslan's pulled off with Valentina is IMNSHO quite remarkable, esp.
> for use cases where search performance across multiple fields in large
> data sets is critical.
>
> Valentina may not be the best tool for every job, and I think even Lynn
> would be quick to agree with that.

Don't know how Lynn, but I will be interested to hear :)

We claim here that Valentina DB is perfect

* Relational DB
* Object-Relational DB

* SQL DB
* NON-SQL DB, because exists reach OO API:  50 classes with 1000 methods.

* KEY-VALUE storage.

===
Large datasets - yes.

But yet 5 years ago was prove that Valentina have beat mySQL on small
queries per second... Because we use other nature of protocol. Prove was
from our user, which developed ORM for RB, later for ObjC,  and tested it
both using mySQL and vServer.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin