Finding matched parentheses

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Jul 30 01:10:20 EDT 2013

Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at ...> writes:

> regex is notoriously unable to handle recursion. To see endless heated
> debate, search the web for how to parse HTML using regex.

I found an old posting of my own on this topic...

"The <center> cannot hold it is too late."

<http://boingboing.net/2011/11/24/why-you-shouldnt-parse-html.html>

...and follow the link to

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1732348/regex-match-open-tags-except-xhtml-self-contained-tags/1732454#1732454>

...the comments are hilarious

"Great, we're now debating the possibility of chuck norris parsing
HTML with regular expressions .. and paris hilton writing an operating
system."

"Pierre de Fermat also figured out how to do it, but the margin he was
writing in wasn't big enough for the code."

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net