Awesome!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 26 13:07:19 EDT 2013

Ben's progress report in the latest newsletter includes some truly great
additions, coming up faster than I'd thought would happen - thanks RunRev!

    Graphics Library
    Driven by Michael McCreary
    We have been working for some time on moving LiveCode's 2D rendering
    to use Skia, an open source library maintained by Google. The
    initial purpose for this project is to facilitate the rendering
    LiveCode stacks at any scale (Resolution independence). It is
    possible that we'll also see some rendering performance improvements
    but we'll only know once the project is complete.

    Progress report: This project is almost complete. The only remaining
    step is to hook in text rendering. The estimated release date of a
    test version for this is the end of August.

    Resolution Independence
    Driven by Ian MacPhail
    The aim of this project is to take away the need to LiveCode
    developers to do extra work when creating an app that is required
    to run on devices with different screen densities. For example,
    developers who write an app for the iPad2 (1024x768) currently have
    to manually upscale their objects, graphics and images by hand to
    support the iPad3 (2048x1532). With resolution independence,
    LiveCode will perform all this scaling automatically as well as
    selecting the appropriate density of image from your app bundle.
    Users will be able to create an app at one scale and let LiveCode
    scale it up or down to meet to density of the screen of the target
    device.

    Progress report: LiveCode can now display a stack at any scale on
    Mac and iOS! We are busy porting this to all platforms at the
    moment. The final step is to update the image object to select the
    appropriate density of image automatically.
    The estimated release of a test version for this project is the end
    of August.

<http://newsletters.livecode.com/july/issue153/newsletter1.php>

--
  Richard Gaskin