multiple crashes with OS 10.8.4 and 6.0.2 community

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jul 3 02:27:10 EDT 2013

I've experienced half a dozen crashes in the past hour or two with the same stack. I haven't yet had a chance to investigate the possibility of similar problems on other stacks.

It's a very simple and ordinary stack, except that it has about 1600 cards. I store a lot of text in this stack.  Most of the text is in one field, spread out over the 1600 cards. About a million words of text altogether.

This stack has been very well-behaved for several years. I have made no changes to it recently, except to add a few more cards and some more text.

It's crashed three times in the past hour. The kind of crash that seems to happen instantly. The application quits and the OS generates a crash report to send to Apple. If other applications are open, they are not affected.

In addition, in the past hour, on two or three other occasions, when simply entering text, or cutting and pasting text, in the same field, on the same card, strange characters started showing up in place of text. In some cases, a crash came next. In other cases, I was able to erase the strange characters and continue entering text.

Sometimes the crash came when I was entering text. In other cases, just scrolling through the stack with go next and go prev, with a simple visual effect.

I used this stack last night and this morning, at length, also with LC 6.0.2 Community. No problems then.

The machine, a late 2009 MacBook with 8 GB RAM, is otherwise working normally.

This stack is very important to me. Data loss or corruption would be very, very bad. (Of course I am backed up.)

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Tim