Valentina DB, SQLite and DBLib

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Jul 2 16:01:52 EDT 2013

On 7/2/13 4:14 PM, "Mike Kerner" <MikeKerner at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> The easiest way to try to do this (i.e. enforcing referential integrity,
> maintain related tables, etc.), is to use triggers.  You have to tell the
> DB what to do.  Even RDBMS's (4D is one I use all the time that comes to
> mind) can't read your mind, but if you write triggers/stored
> procedures/etc., it can at least do a lot of work for you automatically.

Just a couple of note.

1) Triggers was used in SQLite while was no FK constraints.
Now when FK exists, IMO developer should avoid triggers.

One of our DB gurus even thinks that triggers is bad style.
They should be used only by admins of DB, to resolve some bad cases

2) FK Constraints -- take care when we UPDATE or DELETE a parent record.
They do nothing when we adding a new record.

So question from Pascal how to automate linking -- cannot be resolved by
triggers.

Again, only semantic of app defines when and how link records.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology