to find the first numeric line?

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 12:56:08 EST 2013

Hi.

If you sort your alphanumeric list, you will, of course, already know that the alphas sort before the digits, so the first digit will be down a bit.

But how long is that list? After sorting, if you loop through using the "repeat for each..." variant and exit accordingly, I cannot imagine that it would take more than an instant to find the first digital char. Old fashioned but trusty.

I have done binary searches, splitting data in halves as you go so that you cut down processing time, mainly finding stuff in long HC datasets.

Craig Newman