Persistence on iOS (and Android)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jan 26 14:55:49 EST 2013

On 1/26/13 1:22 PM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Is there consensus on the best way to do this - text file, database, or
> do everything in a dynamic stack that's saved (back to the old
> splash-screen app approach)?

Depends on your stack and what you need to do, but any of those would
work. There's no set way. I've always just saved variable values to a
text file and on startup I look for and read the file, and reset
everything. The splash method would probably be easier now that I think
about it.

> Also - is the story the same on Android?

Yes and no, but you should plan on it being the same. Android doesn't
always release an app from memory when the user leaves, it retains it
until it needs the RAM. So if the user pops over to their calendar and
then returns to your app, chances are pretty good your app will still be
in the same state and on the same card. Startup/shutdown messages aren't
sent because the app hasn't really quit. But you don't know when Android
will wipe out your app, the user may open lots of other processes before
returning to yours (it could be days later) so you have to assume the
state isn't going to be preserved. The same startup/shutdown messages
will work so you don't need to do anything different in scripts.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com