Catastrophic Hard Drive Failure, Economic Hardships and Dual Survival

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 25 11:49:17 EST 2013

Thomas McGrath III wrote:

 > So, I'm still alive but i think I'm going a bit crazy. I just decided
 > to take up learning how to play the Harmonica and watching all 600
 > Dave Cantebury YouTube videos (From Dual Survival). I think I'd know
 > better how to survive in a wilderness environment better than in the
 > current economic environment. Just saying!

I've known you long enough that I have complete confidence that this
challenging moment will last just a few weeks at most.  Too many people
need the expertise you've acquired for you to be idle long - enjoy it
while you can; I suspect you'll be so busy soon you'll come to miss this
moment.

But Dual Survival - now THERE's something worth taking about!

Cody Lundin is one of the most experienced trainers of wilderness
survival skills.  I've been trying to find a good time in my schedule to
attend one of his classes; those I've known who've taken them have had
nothing but the highest things to say about them:
<http://www.codylundin.com/courses.html>

Andre, wanna join me?

Please pardon this very-off-topic note, but this seems a good moment for
a healthy reminder that almost every part of the world is prone to one
form of natural disaster or another.  Whether floods, earthquakes, or
zombie apocalypse, disaster can strike at any time - but most can
survive well enough to help others if you're prepared.

You don't need decades of training like Cody and Dave have, but you will
want to take a few moments to make a survival kit with first aid,
medicines, fire starters, and other basic essentials, along with rations
of food and water for at least a week (count on one gallon per person
per day).  And of course keep a portable backup drive with your most
critical data ready to go if needed.

Emergency preparedness takes just a couple hours to set yourself up, and
can make the difference when disaster strikes.

In the States, many municipal fire departments offer CERT (Community
Emergency Response Training) programs free of charge.  These classes are
as short as half a day and provide valuable training.

The US CDC maintains a web site with disaster preparedness info - they
use a zombie apocalypse scenario to get your attention, but the
practices they describe there are useful for surviving almost any
large-scale event:

<http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm>

Today is the best day to take a couple hours to put your survival gear
together.  Once it's in place, you can rest well knowing you can handle
just about anything that comes your way.  Here in earthquake-prone
California this is especially important.

Thanks for reading this.  Back to scripting for me....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World