[OT] A tale of App Store rejection

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sun Jan 20 20:00:47 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Robert Sneidar <slylabs13 at me.com> wrote:

> All your arguments rest inexorably on the precept that Apple "owes you
> something". Show me in any contract you and Apple have entered into where
> Apple is obligated to accept any app you submit! Did you not read the
> terms? Your fault if you did not. Did you agree to those terms knowing full
> well you had no intention of living up to them?? Your fault again.
> Everything in this present age is based upon what two or more parties
> "agree to". It has to be that way because of the kinds of justifications
> being presented in this thread.

My complains are about how arbitrary apple is. It really depends on the
reviewer. This is not a good system. Its their system anyway. What is wrong
is that there is no way to not use the store. The device is yours and yet
you can't install whatever you want. Android is much more sane in this way
allowing everyone in and policing if it is reported.

You can speak all about security and agreements but it still wrong. It
still not secure and it still not right. Identity theft and credit theft
and fraud happens not on your device but on servers. A real app permission
system and a real sandbox solves everything. No need for walled gardens.

As for agreements, you can agree with whatever you click "I agree" that
doesn't however makes it legal in court. There are lots of agreements that
don't hold up. I just with EFF radar would focus on Apple for a while.

Apple practices are worse than Microsoft these days. Its not about my
little utility being rejected, its about the process being wrong. And thats
why in the long run, Android will win. Or OpenWebOS. Or Tizen. Or WinPhone.
Or Sailfish. Or Firefox OS or BB10 (aka QNX) whoever creates the most open
and inviting ecosystem.

After this experience with Apple, I will re-evaluate how useful this
platform is in the long run. In a couple days I will travel to join a
Firefox OS developer day workshop. How refreshing open platforms are.

--
http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.