[OT] A tale of App Store rejection

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sun Jan 20 10:55:19 EST 2013

Hey Folks,

Wow huge thread! Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I can see here
that we tend to fall into two camps. Those that think that Apple can do
whatever they choose with their platform and those that feel that the tight
control by Apple is a bad thing.

There is a larger issue here which is who owns the device you have in your
pocket. iOS devices are full blown computers and yet, you can't install any
app you want. You need to flow thru the walled garden, face the sphynx,
answer the feature riddles ("hey my traffic app now farts when the transit
sucks, will you allow me thru now?") before you can distribute app. I
believe that walled gardens like that are not the answer. I would rather
see a preferred market app such as the Mac App Store and yet allow users to
side load apps like we can do on Android but hey, I am not Apple CEO so my
opinion amounts to nothing.

In the case of "Eponte", I made a decision. I was/am very Angry at the fact
that a reviewer in the U.S. that never came to Rio or faced the dreaded
traffic jams on that bridge can decide if my app is useful or not. The
whole mentality of "we know better what our users want" is bad. I refuse to
add more features to my Eponte app because it is pretty and elegant and
solves the problem that it was meant to solve. I haven't made this app as a
business or wanted to profit from it. I made it to solve my problem. If
Apple thinks that iOS users don't need the app, then, it is good for me, I
don't use an iPhone but I will tell you my plan now.

LiveCode is not my only development environment and Eponte is an easy app.
I will port it to Blackberry, Nokia Symbian and Windows Phone. I will port
it to every mobile OS under the sun except iOS and then all the other users
will have a quick and easy way to check the bridge and iphone users can go
surf on their mobile safari and try to open some webpage with traffic info
that will not load due to poor coverage.

:-D

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.