[OT] A tale of App Store rejection

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 19 21:14:43 EST 2013

Warren Samples wrote:

> On 01/19/2013 07:35 PM, Robert Sneidar wrote:
>> They are willing to put up your app absolutely freely, if you like, so long as you don't charge for it. That's pretty generous. What they actually owe anyone in terms of what they allow is precisely jack diddly squat. It's their basketball hoop, their garage, and their basketball. Don't like the rules? Go to the next door neighbor's garage and play with him.
>
> Actually, Bob, they are not "willing"; they demand this. It was their
> decision that they be the sole "legitimate" distributor of iOS apps and
> there is *no* "next door neighbor's garage" for iDevice users and by
> extension anyone who has an idea to develop for the iOS platform. My
> opinion is that given Apple's demand for exclusive distribution rights,
> that they *ought* to be less restrictive regarding "acceptible utility".
> They are hurting users and developers alike.

Taking an optimistic view, I see this as a problem which will inevitably
resolve itself:

If iOS market share continues to fall, it won't matter.

And if it rises to a majority, it'll get the attention of the feds and
force it open.

Either way, developers' lives will get simpler. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World