More about audio-video

Pierre Sahores sc at sahores-conseil.com
Thu Jan 17 22:24:58 EST 2013

As an example, avi encodes mp4. Just to point out that codecs and the ways video contents are encoded are always two distinct things.

If you can use a javascript to test the end user installed OS, you will get way to serve the adapted video format for each different target. Not a painless configuration to set up but it will work as expected against any client-side config.

If the medias have mainly to be online streamed, Darwin Streaming Server (free version of Quicktime Streaming Server) will always provide best results, fluidity and multi-platform availability (RTSP)  than Apache (HTTP). I used it to serve live conferences and VOD contents for the Sorbonne University (2005/2008) via the Renater 3 french universities network with 100% of reachability on Mac and Windows clients (both web pages and Rev standalones clients). The Darwin Streaming Server runs as well under MacOS X than under Linux. Lots easiest to configure than Red5 Media Server witch can, for its own, embed the same codecs as DSS with the ability to serves them as flash contents.

We always need to get in mind that video streaming is a very big bandwidth consumer + lots of RAM + fast hard drives needed on the server side. In some cases, YouTube hosting can really become the best maxi-min way to go.