More about audio-video

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 17 17:58:09 EST 2013

I've been testing in Windows 7 without QuickTime installed to see how
video and audio files work in a player object. Some formats that work
fine in WMP will not work in LiveCode. The same files that fail in
LiveCode also fail in the preview panel in Explorer. But they do work in
WMP itself.

I didn't test all types, just what I had on my drive. These work fine in
LiveCode:

.wmp
.mp3
.avi -- doesn't really work; audio only, very poor quality

These do not work at all in a player (or in the preview panel in
Explorer.) They simply do not load:

.mp4
.mov

In the Media Player app itself, all the above formats play perfectly. I
did not need to download any extra codecs, not even for .mov files.

For the two that work in LiveCode, all player-related functions seemed
to be okay. I could start, stop, get the duration, get/set the
currentTime, etc. I didn't test any messaging, like callbacks.

I need a video format that will play in Windows without QT. Which of the
many others should I look at?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com