Strange contents of long name

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:25:00 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> Well after reading this and Alex's post, I think this is a bug

I don't think this can be considered a bug, however inconvenient. At the
most basic level, you are able to say something like

control 2 of this cd

Should that respect groups, and in the hierarchy I listed before refer to
group "alice" (the second one). It doesn't, it refers to the second
control, regardless of the group hierarchy. Likewise,

button "bob"

will find the first button named "bob" regardless of where it is in the
hierarchy. You could request a setting, similar in spirit to
explicitVariables, maybe called explicitObjects, that would require a fully
qualified path in every control reference, and maybe that would even be
generally useful. But it would be a *huge* change from the historical norm.

On a more sympathetic note, it might be reasonable to ask why the current
loosey-goosey system stops at cards, i.e. why won't

button "bob" of this stack

find the first button "bob" on any card. And I don't have a good answer for
that other than it's never been that way, and cards are more physical than
conceptual as containers than groups.

gc