Strange contents of long name

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jan 16 13:18:08 EST 2013

Alex-

> Am I missing something ? It seems like this would be a serious
> impediment to reliable custom controls.
> Do we need to convert everything to use IDs rather than names ?

It has always been thus. Create a new button on a stack. Create
another new button on the stack. They've both got the name "Button".
It's up to the developer to give them unique names. This is a
stumbling block for new users and there's really no excuse for it. If
you dig into the bowels of the Tools palette you'll find that the IDE
generates a unique name for new controls and then later overwrites
this by assigning a generic name.

When I created PowerTools I made sure to guarantee unique names to
each new control in order to prevent getting into this situation.

<http://www.ahsoftware.net/PowerTools/PowerTools.irev>

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net