opening txt files

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 01:39:31 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM, J. Landman Gay
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
> If the original was unicode,

Again, TextWrangler can help, at the bottom left of the document it
will show the documents encoding which is also a button that allows
you to change it. On my system a new TW document is created as UTF-8,
when I open a .doc in Pages and convert it to plain text and open it
in TW it shows Western (Mac OS Roman).

If I take that same converted document and feed it into LC, it's fine.

If I take that Mac OS Roman document in TW and change the encoding to
UTF-16, then when I import that into LC it includes all sorts of extra
characters between all the valid ones, not just extra spaces. UTF-8
has no extra space but there are the odd incorrectly transposed chars.

If I then take that UTF-16 document and open it in Pages and Export it
as Plain Text TW again shows it's encoding is Western (Mac OS Roman)
and LC has no problems with it.

My suggestion, if you open the converted document in TW and the
encoding isn't Western (Mac OS Roman), then change it, save it, and
see what you get.

At least that's how it works on my system.