Telephony in LiveCode

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 00:37:30 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Timothy Miller
<gandalf at doctortimothymiller.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me I could probably make my own Virtual Receptionist application in LiveCode.

In the not too distant past it may have been easy.

This article was written around 2006:

http://www.macvoip.com/resources/voip_build_a_Mac_pbx.php

The hardware he mentions, a Clipcomm CG-410 doesn't seem to be
available, but there are other FXO adapters (to connect standard
analog phone lines to the ethernet port of a computer) available for
around U$200.

Asterisk, the software mentioned is still actively worked on and seems
to be huge:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+as+a+Swiss+Army+Knife+of+Telephony

Unfortunately the community that supported the Mac Port of Asterisk
seems to have died long ago.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Getting+Started+on+MacOSX

Can't get this page to load:

www.sunrisetel.net/software/asterisk/asterisk-for-macosx.shtml

Strange, as I don't think the Mac community is any less adverse to
throwing money at the phone companies than the Linux community.

My own perception is that Asterisk is HUGE, that porting it to OS X is
not trivial, therefore writing your own PBX in LC is probably not as
simple as knowing a few AT modem commands.

For those who are bilingual (Linux + Mac) on this List, and are
currently looking for a project, it would seem that a niche exists for
a Mac PBX; in which case 95% of the work is already done.