iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Jan 7 10:17:12 EST 2013

Well, I'll try. To take the last steps first, I used the Keychain utility on my Mac to delete everything whose name started with 'iPhone' and whose expiry date was past or about to be past (i.e. the ones I was trying to replace). This is what suddenly made everything work. I then did the 'refresh' thing in XCode with the relevant device attached - I can only attach one device at a time, so I had to do this twice. This was presumably needed before i could actually drag the compiled program onto the device, which certainly worked for the first device, an iPad 2. Now I can get on with my iPod 3 mods to that app.

Going backwards, I used the Apple Provisioning Portal (if that's what it's called) to get rid of various things in the same category (expired or about to expire). Some stuff you have to delete and some stuff you have to revoke. I created a new Developer Certificate and a new Distribution Certificate - these are the only ones that turn up in the KeyChain utility. If you look at the "Provisioning Profiles" section in your Library/MobileDevice directory, you'll see a list. I've got four of these. I am not sure what they correspond to in XCode or on my devices as they have no descriptions and the numbers are unrecognisable - but they were all created yesterday.

In the XCode organiser, it seems that I have five (not four!) Provisioning Profiles, all valid and also all created yesterday. So I somehow got rid of anything not created yesterday and bingo it all worked.

I may well have left something out that I just did by fiddling around. I have not explained how I created my new certificates/profiles but in general I used the iOS Provisioning Portal and in part the Development Provisioning Assistant - this is a good step-by-step guide except that it doesn't tell you about deleting old stuff and it doesn't create Distribution Provisioning Profiles (AFAIK there is not equivalent step-by-step guide for Distribution).

HTH

Graham