REGEX and Livecode

Robert Sneidar slylabs13 at me.com
Fri Jan 4 21:50:36 EST 2013

>From the Linux Wiki:

A 2001 study of Red Hat Linux 7.1 found that this distribution contained 30 million source lines of code. Using the Constructive Cost Model, the study estimated that this distribution required about eight thousand man-years of development time. According to the study, if all this software had been developed by conventional proprietary means, it would have cost about $1.46 billion (2013 US dollars) to develop in the United States.

Initially, no one applied for the trademark for the term Linux, so a guy by the name of William R. Della Croce, Jr. filed for the trademark, then began demanding royalties from everyone that used it. Nice guy. <AhemAssholeCough>

I seem to recall some noise has being made in the past that bits of Linux source was actually copied from Unix source, but I don't think anyone ever actually proved that. At one point, Novell stated that they didn't think that there was any Unix code in the SCO version.

Linus Torvalds has said that if 386BSD had been available at the time, he probably would not have created Linux. The original OS X was built on BSD Unix. I do not think it would at all be fair to call Linux UNIX at it's core, as the Linux kernel was written in C. The Unix kernel was written entirely in assembly language.

Bob