OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Jan 4 06:31:27 EST 2013

I am probably not alone in finding the whole business of administering the iOS development process a bit of a nightmare - a nightmare set in a jungle, perhaps. The thing is, I develop alone, at my own pace, and I don't always remember the way Apple does things.

Now I find that two certificates I need - a Development Certificate and a Distribution Certificate - are about to expire, in a couple of days in fact. My Developer subscription isn't up until April, so all I want to do is to renew the certificates, but so far I can't find out how to do it. I feel I have searched the iOS Developer's documentation jungle pretty thoroughly, but I haven't found any kind of step-by-step guide. I have a vague feeling that what one has to do is just to let these ones go and create new ones, but I haven't (yet) found any text saying so, and I don't know where this notion came from.

Could someone very kindly give me some insight into this? And if they're feeling very generous, perhaps that same person could say what version of XCode I should be using with LC 5.5.3. At the moment I'm using 4.5.1 and it works, but there's a newer version, isn't there?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Graham