What are the advantages of using on-rev over installing on say: hostgator?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 27 21:01:40 EST 2013

Kay C Lan wrote:

> LiveCode Server Scripting language
>
> http://www.on-rev.com/hosting/features-chart/
>
> Can you write a web page in LiveCode and have it work with Hostgatore... I
> think not.
>
> With On-Rev you can have a hybrid web page - a .html page that contains
> LiveCode scripts or a .lc page and the On-Rev server engine knows exactly
> what to do with it.

LiveCode-Server <> On-Rev.

LiveCode-Server is an application that can run as a CGI; On-Rev is a
hosting service with LiveCode-Server preinstalled.

I've used LiveCode-Server successfully on a wide range of hosts,
including servers in my office, but with shared hosts be forewarned:

Many hosting companies are switching to the XFS file system, usually
using 64-bit inodes.  In such a configuration I've learned that LC's
calls to the fstat() system function are remapped to fstat64(),
returning a structure with integers too large for LC to understand, and
thereby failing with some file I/O calls.

Dreamhost is among those using 64-bit inodes.  Their migration to this
new configuration began over the summer, and is continuing.  Any DH
servers currently running LC well will likely be affected sooner or
later.  The blog at LiveCodeJournal.com is currently unavailable as a
result of this Dreamhost migration.

That said, the folks at RunRev have been working on this, and I believe
they're planning on being able to handle fstat64() data fine in an
upcoming version.

Since I don't know either when that version will be released, I've
started moving my Dreamhost domains to InterServer, which I've tested
and is currently compatible with LiveCode-Server.

InterServer also has cheap VPS options over which you have total
control, so I also have one of those and I'm now covered for all
circumstances.

In fact, the only holdup with moving LiveCodeJournal.com to my new host
is with its forum - anyone here have any tips for moving PHPBB from one
host to another?  From what I've found online it doesn't seem the
hardest thing I'll ever do, but not convenient either.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World