another article achieved...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 15:15:22 EST 2013

On 02/23/2013 09:58 PM, Roger Eller wrote:
> Very good article! I do have to wonder why however, are there not more
> articles on Linux and Windows sites? Sure the roots of LiveCode are Apple
> flavored, but shouldn't the cross platform aspects be promoted beyond the
> Apple fan-base?

As far as I understand Metacard (Livecard's true ancestor) was started
as a Windows
equivalent to Hypercard, which, very quickly, went cross platform.

Interestingly enough I notice on the Wikipedia stub for Metacard it is
described as a "GUI Toolkit",
a very interesting term I have not encountered before; AND perhaps one
that RunRev should be
promoting rather than 'programming language' as it makes a lot more
sense - certainly it is one
I shall use henceforth whenever people ask me about Livecode.

This:  http://www.scdi.org/languages/metacard/  is interesting in that
it uses the phrase

"development environment"  which also makes a lot more sense than
'programming language'.

That does not seem to have been touched since 1997 and bears out what I
said above about
Metacard being, initially, non-Macintosh.

"MetaCard is available for several operating systems including Windows
95/NT, Windows 3.1, Linux, Solaris, Digital UNIX, Irix, HP UNIX and AIX."

and if this were true then:

"/MetaCard was the language of the month in November 1997/."

Why cannot RunRev Livecode be the development environment of the year 2013?

Especially if the Open Source initiative works!

Actually . . . come to think of things . . . I wonder why RunRev don't
contact people such as Vikki Dawson:

http://designertoday.com/reviews/review.archive/413/metacard.aspx

who wrote so keenly about Metacard way-back-when, an micht dae again?

Richmond.