compositor……. Properties for Mobile Performance

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Feb 19 16:37:16 EST 2013

On 2/19/13 2:36 PM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:

> Asking in the forums is easy,
> however asking a question in the mail-list is a bit intimidating, I must confess.

We're mostly the same people, only there are a few more on this list.
Don't worry, we're mostly friendly. Ask us anything. That's what we're
here for.

> -> Does the order of these commands make a difference?
> Setting the acceleratedRendering first or last;
> or setting the compositorTileSize before the compositorCacheLimit, etc.

The usual place to do the settings is on preOpenCard, so I don't think
the order matters. Nothing happens until an object moves, and they won't
move before the card is drawn. The only exception is the
acceleratedRendering property itself. Turn it on before things are about
to move, and turn it off when the move is finished. Leaving it on when
no objects are moving can slow performance.

> -> What's the best way to determine the values of these properties?

Good question, and I used to have a message from RR about that but I
can't find it now. There was a sort of formula, but it was generic and
not always reliable because devices vary so much. Eventually RR just
provided defaults and I always use those, because calculating an exact
setting isn't reliable anyway. I've found the defaults work pretty well.

> -> In which scenarios do these commands create a performance boost?
> For example, in a game which consists hundreds of buttons and
> thousands of sprite png's or ?

You need acceleratedRendering when objects move quickly and often. The
game example is a good case for it. You'll have to use some judgement.
If things on a card are constantly moving then turning it on on
preOpenCard and turning it off on closeCard is fine. If the only thing
that moves is a scrolling group or field, then turn it on when the user
starts to scroll and turn it off when they're done.

There is a lot of info in the list archives, which you can see on either
Nabble or Gmane. This link is a start:
<http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/acceleratedRendering-is-my-friend-td4651360.html>

Also, if you search Nabble for "acceleratedRendering" you'll get more hits.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com