about the GPL version, and password protection...

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Feb 18 20:36:27 EST 2013

On 19/02/2013, at 12:03 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:

> I'm still somewhat confused by GPS licensing for plugins, especially
> helpers like my lcStackbrowser. It's purely a dev tool, nothing to be
> included in a standalone. I'm under the impression I cannot charge for it
> under the GPS license. In the scenario where debs use the gel version and
> only buy a commercial license, it seems it's dead in the water.

I'm fairly sure you mean GPL not GPS....

Anyway, you can charge for GPL software but there's nothing to stop the first person you sell it to redistributing it.

Unless you are distributing LC with your plugin my understanding is you can apply any license you like so you could use a commercial license which does not permit redistribution.

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services

mergExt - There's an external for that!