about the GPL version, and password protection...

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Feb 18 14:45:41 EST 2013

On 19/02/2013, at 6:33 AM, Colin Holgate <coiin at verizon.net> wrote:

> As I mentioned, someone may be doing a personal project, and are not going to be releasing their app at all, should it then matter if it uses non-GPL code?

I don't believe the GPL applies until distribution.

> Also, suppose someone makes a graphics utility plugin, that is solely used for creating graphics (non of its code will be in the final app), shouldn't GPL version users be allowed to use that plugin?

Sure, but the plugin would need to be released in a form that can be used sans password protection. I release all my plugins without any password protection but they are not GPL. You could use them in the GPL version though but not include them in any distributed app. That's why many plugin developers (as we have heard already) will be going dual license. There are workarounds we discussed on the vendors list for some plugin types that are helpers rather than libraries. You could have an open UI plugin for your code and it could interact with a separate process that is closed source. Much simpler to go dual license though and great marketing for when people eventually go commercial.

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding

mergExt - There's an external for that!