about the GPL version, and password protection...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 18 10:57:57 EST 2013

Rolf Kocherhans wrote:

> Am I right that this also means that password protected plugins
> like, for example, the great tmControl from Scott Rossi will NOT
> work with the free version ?

The GNU Public License is based on The Four Freedoms, as I outlined here
on the 1st:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2013-February/182855.html>

Source availability is an inherent part of those four freedoms.

My understanding is that the Community Edition of LiveCode cannot run
stacks made with the Commercial Edition, in order to preserve those
freedoms.

When freely sharing source is your goal, the GPL is a good fit.   When
keeping code proprietary is your goal, the Commercial Edition is a good fit.

Fortunately RunRev is offering both, so we can choose whichever one is a
better fit for a given project.

Many developers of third-party libraries have said they'll be following
RunRev's lead and providing dual licenses for their add-ons as well.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World