Another Hardrive went down!

Robert Sneidar slylabs13 at me.com
Fri Feb 8 18:59:01 EST 2013

WD had a problem with their one gig drives. Apple had to invoke a recall program for them because they put them into iMacs among other things, and the drives went bad typically before the warranty period was up, but many times just after. I also noticed they get hot. VERY hot. Too hot to hold if they are in an enclosure without adequate active cooling. I think there was a problem with their bearings. I have fried 2 of them.

Their green series don't have this problem, but they run slower (to use less energy I suppose). But I agree. At present I think it's a good idea to steer clear of their 1gig+ drives until they figure out what is wrong. I favor Seagate right now.

Bob