Uninstalling on Windows?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Feb 6 17:27:46 EST 2013

Scott Rossi <scott at ...> writes:

> What is the best way to set up a Windows installer to handle uninstall of
> user-generated files?

Do you want to do this? I've seen two approaches: the first is to bring up a
dialog if there are additional files that weren't part of the original
installation asking whether the user wants to delete the data files as well. If
not, just leave them on the disk. A subsequent reinstall should be able to pick
up from where they left off. The second approach is to leave things as they are,
keep the data files and the folders intact, just not notifying the user. This is
the way Adobe AIR uninstalls things, and the AIR installer has a bug that gives
a nonsequitor error if you try to reinstall or install over an existing
installation.

But in any case, I think it's bad form to delete user-generated files without
asking first.

--
 Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net