Trying to make economic sense of open sourcing livecode

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Wed Feb 6 09:10:59 EST 2013

Kevin - building automatic default licensing and easy code submission into
the open source version would go a long long way to making the open source
community effort work. Flickr did this with their built in CC licensing
options, I feel it would be important for the OS version of LC to be
launched with this.

Open stacks without easy community hosting and default licensing will tend
to keep things in the "shareware" domain. Have you any thought, and more
important and planned action at this stage with regard to community
hosting, version control, and default / encouraged licensing? I'd be
interested in contributing and transferring the ownership of
www.livecode.tvto such an effort.

As we discussed earlier, I feel this would be better marketing, and
strategic positioning for this to be an independent community effort, and
have put some thought into the legal structuring of such an enterprise. My
view has always been that this works best for everyone if structured this
way, but with some active support and endorsement from RunRev. That way you
may also garner some more effective organised community support behind the
KickStarter?