Trying to make economic sense of open sourcing livecode

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Sun Feb 3 05:49:50 EST 2013

Yes - this is a strange one! Warning - those of you that dislike lawyers
skip this email :)

"Apple won't accept any GPL apps" - the obvious thought is that it's those
crafty closed box Apple people again... where in fact it seems that Apple
are not enforcing anything - it's the open source people who are
complaining, filing orders to get apps pulled. And it is not really
directly to do with the code not being open - but a side effect of some of
the terms of the app store restricting distribution to 5 computers etc

In loosely speaking there is a bit of a clash in legal contracts - a sort
of side effect that is actually not in anyone's particular interest. Except
of course RunRev :) That is I think it best to view this as a case where
RunRev commercial licenses make it easier for us to get things done, it is
a "service" they provide (and will continue to provide) that allows us to
get around a lot of these bugs and hassles with open source, while allowing
us to develop, work with, use the business arguments we need with big
contractors - in short it's a healthy compromise.

I'd expect the GPL to move towards allowing app stores in the future -
providing there is another place where these restrictions are not in place
- and I would also expect Apple to slowly work with these changes in
license and adopt their terms - so this commercial advantage for RunRev
won't last forever.