LC MISTAKES

Nigel Soden nigels at amglighthouse.co.za
Sat Feb 2 11:47:34 EST 2013

Richard

 I entend too do so, but I live with a very tight budget so I hope that this continues for awhile to allow me a little 'slice of the cake' so to speak.  I must be the ONLY user in South Africa as I have not heard of anyone else using LC.

 A little while ago the company I work was looking for an alternative development platform for developing mobile application. Nothing complicated. It was at this point that I found LC. I downloaded the trial version and showed it to my colleagues.  Yes, there was other's as well but felt that it's simplicity fitted the bill perfectly.  Well, did I get a belting. here are some of the comments I got from my esteemed colleagues.

	1.	How can such a simple language possibly create commercial applications
	2. 	The language is too simple
	3.     What the hell is LiveCode, what best practices does it follow.
	4. 	It's not main stream and therefore were are they going to find developers.
        5. 	(Having explained the history of LiveCode) If Apple dropped there must be a reason for had it been a useful tool they would have developed it further.
	6.    It's not OOPS - (Man I hate that word)

Yip... I should have known the more three letters you have after your name the more stupid one becomes. Why is it that humans think the more complex something is the better it is.

I have discussed this with a few other independent developers but what really stumbles them is the Stack concept. It's just to alienated from main stream terminology. I must tell you it did stumble me at first and it does require a mind shift.  And yes, the more I use it the more I'm required to rethink the way to resolve a problem.

South Africa is dominated by and flooded by Microsoft products. 99% of all development is done in C# although I have noticed that ROR (Ruby On Rails) is gaining some momentum. So to make a living here it's best you have C# experience.

There is a HUGE percentage of the population that would benefit from such a product as LiveCode but it would need some capital as this portion have no means to purchase the required equipment and software to grow into it. This LiveCode kickstart is an ideal opportunity to bring these folks into the computer culture.

I come from a Clarion background and having taught many folks in it's usage it has unfortunately died here in SA and that I squarely but the blame of the developers of Clarion.

I'm willing to support this process every month with a little contribution.

You've heard of Mark Shuttleworth, he's the South African that went into space and brought us Ubuntu, now that is what we need here in SA for LC

The more I work with LC the more I see what I can do with it, the more excited I am seeing a way for me to do medium size projects that wont cost an arm and a leg to do. This is my main goal as I am preparing myself in removing myself from main stream and going into semi-retirement. I'm really looking forward to this and LIC fits my retirement portfolio.

now... back to the keyboard into the life of a LC hermit. :)